Congenital and acquired cardiac diseases are the leading cause of death. Several studies have shown that when a person with heart problems consumes cranberries for a month, there is a prevention of complications. Additionally, its daily consumption has improved cardiovascular disease in healthy men. The studies were conducted by the Heinrich-Heine University Dusseldorf and its heart center. However, people are unaware of the cranberry benefits on cardiovascular health.
A new study led by researchers has shown a direct link between polyphenol present in the berries and heart problems. It has a positive impact on blood vessels present in the heart. Therefore, this article presents an overview of the substances present in cranberries with their immediate and long-lasting benefits.
Compounds of cranberries to enrich heart health
As the old saying goes, those consuming an adequate amount of fruits and vegetables will not be affected by harmful diseases. Although, people don’t follow it strictly. Some superfoods, such as cranberries, have acted as shields. The study explored dried cranberries as cholesterol-free, fat-free, and a good source of fiber. At the same time, fresh cranberries have less amount of calories than dry ones. Process berries into juice or eat the new form of it. But fresh fruit is always recommended as there is a loss of antioxidants after processing or drying.
Cranberries are rich in vitamins, carbohydrates, fiber, and minerals. Vitamin E, C, copper, and manganese help significantly improve circulation in the heart. They are a rich source of several plant compounds such as polyphenol, quercetin, Myricetin, Peonidin, Ursolic acid, and A-type proanthocyanidins. The most abundant polyphenol is quercetin and myricetin.
Potential benefits of cranberries
Small fruit has several benefits. How is it possible? Explore more about it in the article.
- Daily consumption of 100 grams of fresh cranberries helps keep a cardiologist away. Experts had examined that when people ate two packets of cranberry freeze-dried powder, an increase in polyphenol in the bloodstream could be observable. Furthermore, low consumption of this type of fruit increases the risk of cardiovascular disease. The modifiable factors like obesity, lack of physical activity, and eating unhealthy food directly affect the heart.
- Recently, a new study was published by Food & Function. The study included 45 healthy men on daily consumption of fresh cranberries for a month. The results found at the end of the study showed improvement in flow-mediated dilation. The dilation occurs after 2 hours in the heart’s blood vessels to increase blood circulation. In general, when the diameter of arteries increases, blood has a larger area to pass from it. Therefore, this evidence proves cranberries as a small red fruit with potential health benefits.
- The significant improvement of heart and blood vessel function will also prevent cardiovascular disease. Antioxidants present in the cranberries are beneficial for heart health. The proven results have shown increasing levels of High-Density Lipoprotein or good cholesterol. In addition to this, lower levels of LDL or bad cholesterol decrease diseases’ progression.
- When eating berries, people with a previous heart attack get protected from LDL (bad) cholesterol. The decrease in the stiffness of blood vessels is also responsible for maintaining normal blood flow. It lowers blood pressure in patients with cardiac problems. The decreasing levels of homocysteine cut the risk of inflammation in blood vessels. As a result, it is an effective fruit against all vascular diseases.
- The commercial fruit prevents other diseases like urinary tract infections, stomach cancer, ulcers, kidney stones, etc. It may help prevent the signs of these infections and boost immunity.
- Cranberries are among the richest fruit sources of proanthocyanidins. It has different characteristics than other plant compounds. A study found that specific metabolites come into existence after the intake of berries.
Cranberries are a superfood with health-boosting benefits. They manage to diminish the susceptibility to developing an unhealthy heart in people. In fact, some experts claim that regular cranberry intake diminishes bad cholesterol to avoid the chances of getting atherosclerosis in the vessels. The article consisted of studies that emphasized the positive effects of cranberries on the heart and other organs of the body. They are the gold standard for evaluating the effectiveness of these fruits.